Monday 29 March 2010

District 9 ... Once again, Sci-fi fails to impress me.


After months and months of hearing rave reviews about Neil Blomkamp's new film, District 9 from friends who had seen the film, I finally went out and bought the DVD recently.

It was nominated for 4 Oscars and was described by online IMDb users as "The first science fiction masterpiece in years". I hadn't really seen any really good films just recently since the release of Slumdog Millionaire back in 2008, so I was hoping for a really good watch.
In a nutshell, the film features around an Afrikaner bureaucrat assigned to relocate a race of extra-terrestrial creatures who are unexpectedly stranded on Earth from a slum in Johannesburg, to an internment camp outside of the city. Doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea but I'm hoping the making of the film is good enough to change my views.

So after hearing such good stories about the film and spending £15 on the DVD, I sat at home and waited for the film to start.

Just under 2 hours later, I'm staring at my screen in disbelief. How anyone can describe this film as something of a masterpiece is beyond me. The horrifically bad plot line is outdone only by the mediocre acting present.

I have to say however, I like the idea of bringing reality into the Science fiction genre and I honestly think this method of shooting such films in the future will become a lot more common. But for me, it's too much too soon and it's almost as if they have gone overboard on the whole reality twist.

To say I did not enjoy the film would be an understatement. Next time I will learn not to listen to those views around me and stick to watching such action thriller films, of which I know I enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment